For those of us that spend a fair chunk of time communicating with others, we want to believe that our communication is really connecting – that people are genuinely listening and being helped by what we’re trying to say. So here’s few ideas on the sort of communication that I think connects.
- Curiosity – does this talk raise a question that I really want to know the answer to?
- Empathy – does this person understand me, my struggle, pressures and worries?
- Excitement – does this talk present a vision of what could be that makes my heart beat faster?
- Conviction – does this person convey the sort of passion that demonstrates why their idea is more than just advice.
- Imagination – does this talk capture my imagination of a possible future?
- Beauty – does this talk capture my sense of wonder and love for something/someone?
- Inspiration – does this talk make me want to take action?
- Humour – does this talk make me laugh (and cry)?
- Practicality – does this talk tell me how and what to do next?
- Variety – does this talk touch more than one of the above criteria?
What’s missing? What might you add? Anything you’d change here? Let’s keep the conversation and learning going.