A part of my PhD thesis has been working through Deut 1-11 and having just got past Deut 7 I thought I’d share my top recommends for resources to help understand and teach the book:
If you want technical help:
- McConville, Deuteronomy (AOTC)
- Nelson, Deuteronomy (OTL)
- Weinfeld, Deuteronomy 1-11 (AB)
If you want theological reflection for preaching
- Wright, Deuteronomy (NIBC)
- Olson, Deuteronomy and the Death of Moses
- Brueggemann, Deuteronomy (Abingdon)
And a couple I’ve only dipped into as yet but will no doubt prove excellent
- Block, Deuteronomy (NIVAC)
- Robson, Honey from the Rock.
If I could have only two (ha, ridiculous) I’d have McConville and Wright. If I could have just a couple more it’d be Olson and Brueggemann.
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reacquainting myself with Deut as a book. It’s like good coffee – rich with a nice after taste. That sucker will preach, so go, go now, and do it.