As promised here’s another snippet from Rob Parsons’ book on getting your kids through church. His five big threats are:
1. Over-busyness – kids spell love T-I-M-E. Make some!
2. Cynicism – don’t bitch about all the difficult people and situations
3. Hypocrisy – don’t be gregarious and righteous at church and a sulky jack-ass at home.
4. Judgmentalism – don’t slag off everyone else for failing to do what you want them to do.
5. Over-familiarity – Jesus ain’t your boyfriend
In Parsons’ view these are the things that can kill a child’s joy among the church family so pastors and members alike, beware.